Monday 19 May 2014

Early grey biscuits

On my recent trip to Paris I returned to a tea shop I'd come across on my previous trip. It's called Kusmi tea and they have some delicious blends which you can buy there, sample and slurp. Amongst the selection I bought, I bought a large box of their tea called Troika. Troika is very much like Earl Grey only it's made with orange and mandarin as well as the standard bergamot. 

I'd been meaning to make some chai style biscuits for a while but seeing as I have a lot of loose Troika, I decided to make an Earl Grey biscuit. The recipes are more often than not American recipes but I came across one I liked the look of so did a bit of converting and came up with the recipe below.



I've never made biscuits with icing sugar before so thought it would be interesting to try. 

Makes about 30
320g plain flour
2 tbsp earl grey / loose tea of your choice
1/2 tsp salt
225g butter / margarine 
90g icing sugar

Grind the tea so it's more of a finer consistency. I used my pestle and mortar. If you're using teabags then it won't need grinding 



Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flour, tea and salt and mix to form a dough. Chill in the oven for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 180/160 fan

Roll out the dough and I used a 6cm cutter to cut out the biscuits and line on baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are turning golden brown and leave to cool on a wire rack.

They're a light and crispy biscuit a little like shortbread but lighter which would go lovely with a cup of tea. Early grey maybe?!

I love the speckles of tea in the biscuit. I think I'll be definitely trying these with other flavours of tea.



My kids love them!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment