Saturday 26 October 2013

Peaches and cream

I decided to try a recipe that wouldn't be one I'd go for seeing as I won't be eating what I was going to bake so decided I'd try Hummingbird Bakery's coconut and pineapple cupcakes.

After a small family discussion (read argument), it was decided for me that I wouldn't be doing coconut and pineapple cupcakes rather that I should do the peaches and cream. Everything was store cupboard anyway for both so off I went to start.


120g plain flour

140g caster sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

40g unsalted butter

120ml full fat milk

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

400g tinned sliced peaches 

Beat the flour, sugar, baking power and butter until the mixture has a sandy consistency. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until it is just incorporated.

Whisk the egg, vanilla and remaining milk together then pour it into the flour mixture. Beat until the mixture is smooth. Don't overbeat. It's a very loose mixture, one that I'm not normally used to when making cakes.

Add the sliced peaches to the cupcake cases. I found that one tin had enough peach segments to put two per case and fill 11 cases like this:


Fill the cases until two thirds full

Bake at 170c fan for 20 or 25 minutes, until the tops are golden. Leave in the tin to cool. When you take them out they'll have a very squishy bottom oo er

Frosting: 

250g icing sugar

80g unsalted butter

25ml milk

a few drops of vanilla extract

Beat the icing sugar and butter together until the mixture comes together. Add the vanilla extract and milk. Turn your mixer up to high speed and beat for about 5 minutes or until the frosting is light and fluffy. I found though it was too loose so added more icing sugar. 

Ice the cupcakes and top with some Demerara sugar.

Warning: These need to be eaten with a spoon!

Comments were that the cake was lovely but the icing too sweet. Next time I'll substitute the topping for whipped cream or just pour over some cream as you need to eat with a spoon anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment