Thursday 23 May 2013

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

I need to write down my Rhubarb & Custard cupcake recipe while I remember it, so here goes.

My mum grows her own Rhubarb and its actually naturally quite sweet. So there I was in the rain, rooting around for 400g worth of rhubarb. I thought I had it but once I'd chopped the huuuuuuge leaves off I only had 200g. Typically, Sod's law, it really started to wang it down as I trudged back outside to get more rhubarb. So these cakes were made with super super fresh rhubarb. I swear it made them better :D

These cupcakes are one of the sweetest cupcakes I've ever made so if you've got a sweet tooth and you like the taste of those rhubarb and custard sweets, then you're in for a treat!!

For the rhubarb filling, chop up 400g of rhubarb and add 200g caster sugar to a pan over a gentle heat, give it a stir then leave to simmer for 15 minutes or until the nice pink colour and the rhubarb has softened and broken up.

Sieve and leave to cool - I used the sieved rhubarb juice to make rhubarb granita

The cupcakes include corn flour in the batter. I'd never used corn flour before but hey ho, give it a go!!

150g margarine
150g caster sugar
140g self-raising flour
10g cornflour
3 medium eggs
2 tbsp milk
Pinch of ground cinnamon

I cooked them in the aga but for ovens, preheat to 160°c

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and
fluffy. Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar one at a time along with 1/3 of the flours and the cinnamon. Mix until just combined. Repeat until all the eggs and flour are combined.

Bake for 20 minutes

To make the frosting, add all the ingredients into a bowl and beat for 4 minutes until smooth and shiny. Colour half yellow and half red to make those infamous sweetie colours.

Once the cupcakes are cool, remove the middles (I've got a fancy schmancy cupcake corer) and fill with rhubarb. Fill your piping bag with the icings so you've got two tone icing in one bag and pipe on the cupcakes.

Et voila!












No comments:

Post a Comment