Monday 4 May 2015

Rhubarb jam

I can't believe I've never made jam.

Well technically that's a lie, I once made sweet chill jam but that's more savoury I guess. Well I wouldn't personally spread it on toast. 

With my last batch of rhubarb (until I collect more) I thought I'd try having a go at jam. I now own a digitial food thermometer which made things easier though you don't need one to make this recipe. I got a large jar, medium jar and small jar from this batch

Ingredients 
450g jam sugar 
450g fresh rhubarb
2 balls of stem ginger in syrup (optional) 
1 lemon

You need to prep the rhubarb in advance and it needs at least two hours to soak into the sugar but you could also leave it overnight. Chop the rhubarb into 2cm pieces and place in a bowl with the sugar, ginger, zest and juice of the lemon. Stir together then leave loosely covered for at least two hours. Stir every half an hour or so to speed up the process.


When it's ready, the sugar will have dissolved slightly and there should be juice in the bottom of the bowl. Tip into a pan and heat on a medium heat until the sugar has all dissolved. Put two saucers into the freezer (you need these to test the jam for setting point). Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the fruit has cooked down and gone soft. 



Raise the temperature so it's boils. If you have a food or sugar thermometer, pop into the jam and test the temperature. You need it to read 105c as this is the point at which jam reaches it's setting point. It actually took longer to reach 105 than I thought so if you don't have a thermometer keep it boiling higher than you think it needs. 


When it reaches 105c or you think it's ready, put a small blob into one of the saucers that's in the freezer and leave 30 seconds. Then use your finger and push it. If it wrinkles the jam is ready. If not then keep it boiling and try again.


Leave the jam for a few minutes off the heat then pour into your sterilised jars and put the lids on and leave to cool. 



Eat as you wish!


No comments:

Post a Comment