Sunday 1 February 2015

Piña colada cupcakes

I saw these about a week ago and decided they definitely needed to be made. Unfortunately once again I can't taste test them but reports back are that they're super moist and very tasty indeed but perhaps the piña colada taste isn't very prominent. I have two ideas to rectify that; one which I wanted to implement today but had no dessicated coconut, the other I thought of afterwards.

My concern also lies in the sugar used as brown sugars have a much stronger taste so next time I'll make the recipe with just caster sugar.

Here's the recipe made today:
210g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
115g butter
50g caster sugar
150g light or dark brown sugar  
1 egg
120ml pineapple juice
120ml coconut milk 
2 tsp vanilla essence 

Preheat oven to 180/160c fan. 
Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases. 

Add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate to a mixing bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl and add the sugars to it. Pour into the dry mix with the egg, pineapple juice, coconut milk and vanilla essence and whisk until combined. Pour into cupcake cases (I only got 11) and bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Once cooled make the frosting as in the original recipe. I had some buttercream ready from another bake so I added some coconut milk and vanilla essence to taste.

Pipe in a swirl on top of each cupcake and top with a morello cherry.

I wish I had some paper straws to pop in them to finish the cocktail look but morello cherries were all I had 

Right, to enhance the flavours next time I'm going to add some chopped pineapple chunks or dried pineapple pieces to the cake batter. I'll also only use caster sugar. 

For the frosting I'll toast some dessicated coconut and mix into the frosting reserving a bit to sprinkle on top. And buy some paper straws :)

I guess it'll be a combination of this recipe plus the pineapple and coconut recipe I made in December.
http://mahhattersteaparty.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/pineapple-and-coconut-cake.html?m=1

Definitely be making them that way so watch this space!

Original recipe: 
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/04/02/pina-colada-cupcakes/




No comments:

Post a Comment