Sunday 20 April 2014

Happy Easter Everyone!

Today is Easter Sunday so it's time to bake a cake as it feels like forever since I've made a cake that's not been Victoria for decorating. No decorating today, just a yummy new cake to try instead. 

I was originally planning on making a simnel cake as I've never even tried it and I love fruit cake and marzipan. But no one in my family particularly liked the idea so I decided to just make an Easter themed cake instead.

But that's for tomorrow.......

Today's bake is purely because I've got some rhubarb to use. My mum grows it and it's got to the sweet stage. Seeing as she has loads she palmed some off on me. Last year I made rhubarb and custard cupcakes (http://mahhattersteaparty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/rhubarb-rhubarb-rhubarb.html?m=1) so this year I bring you rhubarb and custard cake.

Rhubarb & custard cake
Ingredients:
400g fresh rhubarb (not inc the leaves)
50g caster sugar 

250g butter/ margarine
250g golden caster sugar
250g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
150g pot of ready made custard

You need to prepare the rhubarb in advance so it has time to cool. Wash the rhubarb and chop into finger sized pieces then sprinkle with the caster sugar and line in a tin. Bake at 200/180 fan for 15 minutes covered with foil then for a further 5 minutes uncovered. Drain and cool.

When you're ready to make the cake, grease and line a 23cm tin. Preheat oven to 180/160 fan.

No creaming butter and sugar here, just whack the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and 3/4 of the custard into the mixing bowl and mix until combined.
Spoon 1/3 of the batter into the tin then dot with some of the rhubarb. Add another 1/3 of the batter and more rhubarb, then add the last of the batter, too with remaining rhubarb and dollop on the remaining custard.



Bake for 40 minutes until risen and golden then cover with foil and bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar for serving 

Most of the rhubarb has appeared to have settled at the bottom but I doubt it'll affect the taste!





No comments:

Post a Comment